Saturday, October 8, 2011

I made: Ninja bread men!

Last week I decided to crack open another engagement present and put it to use in my sweet little kitchen. This time it was ninja bread men! Awesome right!? The pack came with 3 different dudes making ninja moves. I didn't follow the packaging recipe as it involved shortening. I don't like cooking with shortening so I consulted the ever trusty Australian Women's Weekly biscuit cookbook from 1990.. and sure enough there was a ginger biscuit recipe. It's a pretty standard recipe and I highly recommend it if you haven't had a gingerbread biscuit before. I wonder if anyone has never tried one? Anyone..?
INGREDIENTS

125g butter
110g (½ cup) sugar
1 egg yolk
300g (2 cups) plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
3 teaspoons ground ginger
2½ tablespoons golden syrup

METHOD

1. Warm golden syrup first.. I just microwaved mine for 30 seconds. Cream butter and sugar until creamy, add egg yolk, beat well. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and warm syrup, mix well. Easy as!
2. Knead mixture lightly, roll out to mm (1/8 in) thickness on lightly floured board. this can get pretty messy but it's worth it! At this point try not to eat the raw dough.. (as I am guilty of..)
3. Cut out biscuits, lift carefully on to lightly greased oven trays. Dough should make at least 20 biscuits. Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes; cool on trays. When cold, decorate biscuits with icing. You can make royal icing, I used a black icing tube I had in my cupboard which made my ninjas look super tough! I gave them robes and belts and all.
4.Eat them all! Or share them!

By the way, Lauren (Glossary) and Sian (Pink made it punk) are doing a fun new thing called Kitchen Pen Pals. Basically, two girls, two countries, one recipe. Lauren learns and cooks recipes as provided by Sian. I love reading it because they are both in Africa, the recipes sound amazing & Lauren is funny.

4 comments: