Wednesday, June 30, 2010
1. Where do you find inspiration? Travelling, walking around the city at night, walking around the mountains, weekend markets, new music, assorted blogs, Frankie magazine.
2. Have you got any hobbies or interests you’ve let lapse & wish you would take up again? Swing dancing! I have done it on and off over the past 5 years and I adore it and I want to find a club in Melbourne as it has been over a year. Also, I haven't been for a run in over a week!
3. One tea party. Ten invitations. Who do you invite? Gala Darling, Miranda July, Sara Von from Yes & Yes, Ellen Page, Kate Nash, Tina Fey, Lisa Mitchell, Drew Barrymore, Zooey Deschanel, Michelle Williams.
4. Who was your favourite teacher at school & why? Probaly my photography teacher who let me hang out in the lab every single lunch time for 2 years unsupervised to develop photos that I had taken of my favourite local bands. Also, I got an award at the end of high school as Photographer of the Year from him!
5. Have you ever been in a long-distance relationship? Nope.
Friday, June 25, 2010
♥ A treasure trove of second hand Americana shirts. I have always wanted a D.A.R.E one but had never seen one in real life so I was mega stoked! I love these high school shirt designs because they really don't exist in Australia.. really.. what is an honor roll anyway? I dunno. Plus a physical education shirt with a gap to write your name? Awesome. All we wore to phys ed was polo shirts. Oh, and the Cardinals top just cause it reminds me of Alexisonfire and not the team.
♥ Ok, so the slippers weren't op shopped.. they were from Kmart, but still.. floral, beige and fluffy goodness! Essential for Melbourne winter. I got a cute summery shift dress which is very light and may be see through at the moment so it may take some renovation rescue but it is pretty girly and has potential for a date outfit. Jet lag isn't anyones friend really but buttons sure are.
♥ A mug for 10 cents to hold my pens and such? Yes please. It even has a little spout should I ever need to use it for liquid. I know it's tiny and hard to see but the second is a metal platter dish with a map of California! I use it to put my keys/sunnies/wallet and general handbag bits and pieces, very handy and not just for a Tim Tam platter. The mosaic machine cut of some of the last one but it is a wee little egg cup with a koala carrying books! I love koalas especially when they are cartoon versions doing random things. Plus the white cardigan I am wearing.. 3 bucks. Bar-gain.
Last night I went on a first date with boy and we drank Peroni beer and then got poutine fries and it was fun and he is really nice and smiley and he likes travelling and the outdoors and I might be seeing him on Saturday night! Wow, that is alot of "and's". Eight in fact.
I have been listening to this song all morning.. Ok, so I don't really like this band or song but I love the lyrics and it reminds me of my old bff quoting these lyrics when we were probably only 16.. before we even had a chance to hate our jobs)
"Pull back the curtains and let some light in,
quit your job because you hate it and it's wasting you.
Am I the only one who's noticed that you've been missing?
You're not getting any younger all you need is fresh air
a nice new suit and a walk in the park every day or two"
Something for Kate: Jerry Stand Up
Thursday, June 24, 2010
♥ Australia has it's first female prime minister!!, packages in the mail with doilies & Pineapple Lumps & bows & an adorable letter!, red wine, the streets of Melbourne, sleeping in til 10am, running til I start feeling better, paisley, drowning my sorrows,The Arthouse, plant man, Grill'd veggie burgers, Chiko roll burps, full time employment!, comments from my favourite bloggers, an email from one of my favorite bloggers!, almost school holiday time for some people, Little Cupcakes for morning tea, the new Frankie magazine, walking to the train station really fast because that is the only way to warm up, my new corkboard!, reading about Japanese pilgrimages, owning Alexisonfire tickets!, cute funny dates involving Peroni and poutine, not working!
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
1. If it was your birthday tomorrow, what would be on your wishlist? I don't normally make wishlists for gifts but I really want/need a new camera after I lost mine a few weeks ago. Pretty sure I am getting one today though!
2. Do you look after your nails? Do you paint them? If so, do you have a colour that you keep returning to again & again? I used to chew them in high school but nowadays they are usually at a pretty nice length and in pretty good nick. I would like to paint them alot more often but I don't because I am a pro at smudging them plus the ideas I want on them (eg: a galaxy, panda, snowflakes..) are pretty tough to do solo painting. Colour wise I used to love black but I would always get in trouble at school/work. I still really really love just piling heaps of layers of glitter on! Glitter is a colour!
3. What star sign are you, & do you think it is accurate? Aries. I used to follow/believe star signs daily but a few years ago I even made a new years resolution not to read them anymore. I still gaze over them sometimes and I think it depends which ones you read because sometimes it just sounds rediculous but sometimes they can more generalized and relevant and thats when I get sucked into beleive the hoo-ha! So, do I think me being an Aries is accurate.. ? Google search tells me/fellow Ariens are.. fiery in demeanor, born leaders who love their freedom, self dependent, glowing in energy, quick tempered, get offended easily, adventurous and capable of incurring extravagant purchases (lol, what?) So yeah, I guess I am most of those things sometimes?
4. What is something you have recently learned to appreciate? Woolen beanies and fingerless gloves. My new bedroom is an actual icebox and I can see my breathe in the air as I type this.
5. What is your favourite city in the world, & why? I used to think I was a city girl but now I much prefer a mountain village, but big city wise.. ummmmm, New York.. I loathed it the first 2 times I went there and while I don't plan on going back for awhile I do have a big soft spot for it now because I just did some amazing things there and it pushed me to confront being mega home sick and lost and how to deal with it by myself. I am also pretty smitten with Melbourne, Auckland, Osaka and Vegas for food and shopping reasons.
Friday, June 18, 2010
L. O. V. E.
P.S Guess who just spent an hour learning how to make photo mosaics instead of sleeping because Blogger is awesome at disfiguring my photo set-outs!
I remember when I used to have a Livejournal when I was between the ages 15 - 21 and I would come home after a night out or after a rough day and have the biggest whinges on it, I would generally just make the entries private or delete them soon after. I even used to call it Whingejournal, Emojournal, Lifejournal etc because I'm creative like that. I liked that I could have "friends only" entries and not have everyone in the world open to see it. All of my closest friends used to have one but now I only know 3 people in real life that know about this blog. I deleted my account last year but sometimes I miss just typing away about things that upset me or that make me feel less than awesome. My old best friend is still on LJ and she writes some pretty amazing, beautiful and totally heart breaking things and here is part os something she wrote..
"I would rather wear shitty cheap clothes and be able to do cartwheels in them at the park or on the dancefloor than look really great all the time, just to impress people that I think I should impress.I still like dresses and jewels and bags, but somersaults are way more important than Marc Jacobs. I realize the only people that I truly want to impress are my best friends because they will hang out with me if I am not wearing make up or a dress and they don't always need me to have a champagne flute in my hand in order to find me entertaining." ♥
So anyway, I am gonna listen to Cat Stevens and mope in my room spilling my guts into my real paper journal and hope that next week never feels like this week did :(
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Tell us about your most incredible romance. I have slim to none stories of romance, but there was once a boy who was friends with my old housemate and we became kinda friends but nothing ever happened between us. This boy made me a mix cd (this wasn't just any old mix cd.. this one had a hand drawn cover!) and he also got Death Cab For Cutie to sign my cd for me when he interviewed them (as you do..) and I thought this boy was perfect (he dressed swell and was a ginger!) and I was going to teach him to ride a bike in the summer time but really I was never cool enough for him because he actually only dated fucking hipsters. So that's not romantic but I think he was the most romantic boy I have ever encountered and if I was the right girl for him he would have been even more romantic I think. Really, the sweetest thing anyone can ever do for me is made me a mix cd and it will melt my heart everytime.
Have you ever been the “other woman” (or “other man”)? Yes
What is the craziest thing you have done in the name of love? I made a boy a mix tape (an actual cassette tape! It was only a few years ago too and boy, it took effort) and I shoved it in his hand, kissed him on the cheek and ran out of the carpark at 1am. I still see him around and he always mentions "that mixtape" UGHH. It's not that crazy I know but I got nothing else!
Is there someone who you think of as the one who got away? Yes, another boy who I never even kissed and but at the time (like 4 years ago) he wasn't looking for a girlfriend and now is kind of is because I saw him on a dating site, but now we don't live in the same city. Blaa blaa, we are different people now.
Do you believe in true love? Yes.
Have you ever experienced love at first sight? Not yet. I think for it to be love at first sight both people have to connect and feel something. I fall in love with strangers every day that never notice me so that sure don't count!
Ok, after reading over all that I have come to the conclusion that I need some better boy stories! Or just boy stories that end before they begin! I even thought about this overnight but really these are about as good as it's gonna get for now. Oi vey!
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Day 1 of the 30 day journal project!
A few of my favourite things: teacups, florals, airmail, music, home, the ocean, snowcapped mountains and snowflakes ♥
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Things to do someday soon:
♥ Join the local library! I love libraries but I have nothing with my new address yet so I can only browse. Well, just you wait! And there is like 3 libraries close to our place!
♥ Find a running track. I did actully go running today.. in Melbourne.. in winter! And it was good but it was just around the streets and a small park. I am gonna miss my coastal runs back home.
♥ Doctors. Again. Always.
♥ Get some winter supplies. Such as an umbrella and some slippers.
♥ Apply for a plethora of jobs.
♥ Maybe buy a bicycle!
♥ Tidy my room. Woops, it is so messy already.
♥ Try not sit at home all day on the computer. Maybe next week I will go to some art galleries and eat some okonomiyaki in the city? Yeah I will.
♥ Make something colourful for my room! Maybe some flags, origami mobile or pom pom danglers?
♥ Get my learners permit changed over to a Victorian one.
♥ Buy a camera. I have nothing to document my early days in the east becuase I lost mine on Sunday in Perth. Silly!
P.S Who loves journalling? I do! Who loves challenges? I do! Janel from the wonderful Running with Scissors is running an awesome 30 Day Journal Challenge starting on Monday. Cannot wait to fill my pretty new Moleskine up :)
Thursday, June 10, 2010
♥ Living in the state of Victoria with my sister, wardrobe planning involving early 00's bands tshirts!, late night FB chatting to boys in a non-skanky way, walnut tart from that fancy French bakery, staying up really late, the first half of Up!, Uniball pens, Australian merlot, Allens retro party lolly mix, dumpster diving, national parks, days off, last shifts, external hard drives, public holiday pay rates, veggie burgers, Glee, floral cardigans from Tokyo, silence, beer, screaming, Daniel Sanders, when plans fall into place, packing it all up, midnight apologies, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions on cassette, flying over the great Australian bight, edamame, the petties, Pixelgirl Presents = oh my goodness so many pretty desktop wallpapers, sleeping with a beanie on.
1. Would you ever get cosmetic surgery? If not, why not? If yes, what would you want done? No wayyyyyyyy, not ever. I believe you are you are and to get cosmetic surgery is all very fake and I despise most un-natural things especially beauty related. I believe everyone is so much more beautiful naturally without excessive amounts of make up and and especially without surgery.
2. What is “your drink”? Chai tea ♥
3. What are your five fashion essentials? Cardigans, Chuck Taylors, old fashioned sunnies, my charm necklace and some bizarre patterned item (not always bizarre, more likely to be floral but a pattern none the less)
4. Do you have any tattoos? What are they? If not, do you want some? What would you like to get? I do! I have a heart on my collar bone a la Kurt Halsey that I got on my 20th birthday. I don't want another one though and some days I don't even want this one. I got it with my old best friend who also got a Kurt Halsey one too, but the reason I got the heart is below..
5. What is something most people don’t know about you? I had open heart surgery when I was 16. I was meant to have key hole surgery for the murmur in my heart but that failed so I had to go into an emergency operation. I hate reading or watching anything to do with heart surgery, it really freaks me out. I still have a huge scar and I don't like talking about it so I am gonna stop!
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
And I'm a bloody big mess inside
And I'm a little bit lost without you
This aint a love song this is goodbye
I've been lost, I've been losing
I've been tired, I'm all hurt and confusion
I've been mad, I'm the kind of man that I'm not
I'm going down, I'll be coming back fighting
I may be scared and a little bit frightened
But I'll be back, I'll be coming back to life
I'll be coming back to life ♥
Scouting for Girls: This Ain't a Love Song
I fell in love with this band when I was living in England a few years ago and then last week I heard the familiar sound of Roy Strides voice singing on the radio for the first time ever in Australia. This song has been on repeat for a few hours now and the video is so cute because it is all about airports and goodbyes and I have an affinity with airports plus this time tomorrow I will be boarding my plane! I think I am almost ready to leave.. still have a last minute doctors appointment, need to send some parcels, maybe meet up for coffee, try to hunt down my camera that I lost on Sunday night, take my uniform to work and uhhhh.. pack. Still.
Monday, June 7, 2010
about nine to five, five to nine
simple times and the same old life and then
this time we'll re-arrange and we'll rip down all those picture frames of my life
this time we'll leave this town
Georgia Fair: Picture Frames
Yes, I know this songs reeks of summer (and flavoured milk tv advertisements..) but this week, I really like it.
Man, I post alot of videos on here hey.
I am currently procrastinating getting ready for my last work shift ever and wishing there was more bread in the house and trying to remember things from last night, ohhhhh dear. Plus I have so much effing packing to do still before Tuesday, everything was in little piles.. now there is just one big pile. I had a pretty nice weekend, I didn't work at all! On Saturday Dad and I went hiking and got very lost but it was hilarious. It made me miss New Zealand so much.. hiking in Perth is so flat and bushy, gimme some fiords anyday please. We also went to the tip! I love the tip! Haha, I'm serious, this one is like a lower class op shop and most of the stuff is free. It was the only place in Perth were I could find cassettes! On Saturday my polaroid camera died, I think it's little world trip just bashed it around too much and there are still 2 shots in it and the battery still works but the film just won't eject. I will miss you Vaughan! On Sunday I had a tiny going away party and when I say tiny I mean tiny but don't get me started. Perth never ceases to break my heart! Hrmph! Then I went and saw my favourite band in the whole entire universe, Gyroscope! They played heaps of old songs and it was nice to see them with my old friends and pretend it was 2003. I should have taken a photo of my outfit, I thought it was adorable. However I did mix navy with black and florals with polka dots but whatever fashion police, I break all the rules! Ok, now I have to go to work.. on a public holiday and hungover. MLIA.
P.S Note to self: delete that effing boys number from your phone otherwise you will text him at 1am on a Sunday night when you are drunk. He is a douche who doesn't like you enough because you live too far away. Well, that distance is going to get even bigger in a few days innit!
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Inspired by the Day Zero Project!
Start : 11th March 2010 Finish : 7th December 2012
Full list here
2. Monthly 101 blog update (3/33)
13. Go 7 days without Facebook
14. Take one photo of myself a month (3/33)
Yeah, I know I don't post the photos of myself but doesn't mean they haven't been taken. Maybe I will post them all at once so you can be like "omgwtfbqq, who is that?"
18. Do not smoke
MAY MEGA FAIL
24. Paint nails once a month (2/33)
NOPE. At my work I quite often have to use really sharp hunting style knives and one day late last month I managed to maim my poor little pointer finger rendering it well, quite hacked up. It has finally recovered now though.
29. Have a monthly face mask (3/33)
I hate doing face masks when my family is home because I don't want to leave the bathroom at risk of freaking them out. I know, it's stupid. Whatevs. I did my almighty Japanese mask only once this month.
61. Give up coffee
Haha, not really! I have consumed at least one coffee a day for the past 2 weeks. I started off with tea but then we ran out so lately, it's only coffee that I want. Plus buying hot tea from a cafe is such a rip.
67. Watch 10 foreign films (1/10)
I watched My Life as a Dog (Swedish) I think this was my first ever film I have seen in Swedish. It isn't my usual kind of movie that I usually like but in the end I did like it.
76. Go to the theatre.
I saw Don Quixote at the ballet! It was fun to dress up and to drink champagne and sit in the pews and try to understand the story line. I think there were too many male characters in this one for me to understand who was the main man but still lovely to watch.
81. Make 5 people mixcds (2/5)
Yes, I made my penpals in Dubai & Utah lovely mixes.
82. Find 10 new bands to love (2/10)
To really love a band you need to love more than just one of their songs right? Well, I really like all of the Temper Traps songs so they are whom I have fallen for this month. And then theres lots of other bands that I just thrash one of their songs so they don't count (yet)
92. Do 20 assignments from Learning To Love You More (4/20)
Here and here.
93. Watch all the movies mentioned in Perks of Being a Wallflower (1/11)
My Life as a Dog.
95. Listen to all the songs mentioned in Perks of Being a Wallflower
96. Read at least one novel a month (3/33)
I read Mike Gayle's Brand New Friend. I also read He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt & Liz Tuccillo and finished it in 2 days! Initially I didn't like reading what they were saying but in the end it made me realise that this douche of a boy I was seeing is not worth my time and is infact an absolute ****. I loved the movie but didn't think I would like the book but I really did and I highlighted soooooo many pages from it too. "Don't waste the pretty" ♥ I also finally read How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer which wasn't the book I thought it was to begin with but I still really enjoyed the shorts stories.
101. Write a letter to myself to read at the end of the 1000 days
Done! I found this cool site called Future Me and basically you write a letter/email and then in sends it to you.. one day, any day you like! Can you imagine getting a email in the year 2060? YIKES.
Saturday, June 5, 2010
It's Friday night and I just tried to watch Up! but I got bored half way through so now I am drinking some red wine and attempting to recommence my packing for Melbourne whilst planning co-ordinating outfits for Sunday. Awesome.
This idea was stolen from the wonderful Em from Lick My Cupcakes.
1. Put your ipod on shuffle.
2. Write down the FIRST song that comes on to each question. DO NOT switch songs if you don’t like it. Tough luck. That’s the fun of the game.
3. To avoid cheating, avoid looking at the questions and listen to the songs FIRST.
And my answers…
1. How am I feeling today?
Said Girl: Summer sickness. Well yes, I guess so. Tears were involved in todays activities although it is winter here now and sadness is a form of sickness.
2. How do my friends see me?
7 Day Weekend: Party monster. Hahaha yes sure why not, "I'm the party armageddon, I'm the birthday boom! I'll smash all your antiques and eat all your food, I came here party, I don't mean to be rude" I effing love this song. I wish every party played this song.
3. What is my best friend’s theme song?
Arcade Fire: My body is a cage. What does that all mean? The band is Canadian and I met my bf in Canada.. that is how it is all linked yes? Sure, why not.
4. What is the story of my life?
Coldplay: The scientist. I am not a scientist but I do really like this song and when I have crushes on boys they are 8 times out of 10 a scientist or studying science! Fact.
5. What is the best thing about me?
Modest Mouse: Mice eat cheese, LOLOL. I think I may even like cheese more than mice. I dont like this song very much. This makes no sense.
6. What is today going to be like?
Joni Mitchell: Come in the from cold. Well Joni, it is cold out and it is nice for the most part to be inside as I have wines and cheesies! Today at work it was cold even inside so I wore 2 fleeces!
7. What is in store for this week?
Shout Out Louds: Shut your eyes. But I want to open them this week because I am seeing my favourite band and providing the lead singer is wearing shirt I will want to have my eyes wide open.
8. How is my life going?
The Ramones: Gimme Gimme shock. Most of the time I am shocked at what my life is!
9. What song will they play at my funeral?
Coconut Records: Microphone. Well this isn't totally impossible.
10. How does the world see me?
The Hold Steady: Stuck between stations. OH SHUT UPPPPPPP QUARTER LIFE CRISIS YEAH I KNOW.
11. How can I make myself happy?
Van Morrison: Wonderful remark. Ha, maybe like, you are remarkable . com? Does make me happy.
12. What should I do with my life?
Alanis Morrisette: You Outta know. Omgwtfbqq! I don't knowwwww.
13. How will I be remembered?
Justin Timberlake: Nothin' else. I do not like the answer to this one, booo. And JT is 95% lame and I only have him on my mp3 player because I love that part of Love Stoned right at the end where there are all them pretty piano sounds.
14. What is my signature dancing song?
John Williamson: Drover Boy. Yes, I dance like a old rugged weather worn farm hand from the Aussie outback? Kind of.
15. What is my current theme song?
Wilco: Shake it off. This whole album reminds me of hiking in Nova Scotia and I recently re-listened to this album at work and almost fell asleep. Booo. I don't understand some peoples massive admiration for this band.
Friday, June 4, 2010
♥ Talking to my sister on msn and feeling much better even though my parents made me cry alot earlier, when my room smells like a Lush store, seeing a kookaburra outside my window in the morning, men in suits carrying trays of cupcakes, driving to the airport, the hot delivery boy at work growing a bit of a beard with hints of ginger, seeing an old lady on the train wearing a Gryffindor scarf, the Dockers number 2 on the ladder!, sending parcels to Dubai & Utah, hot showers, last chance muffins, listening to bluegrass, new Peter Alexander catalogue, floral headbands, the snooze button, Gyroscope on the cover of Drum Media, LESS THAN 1 WEEK TIL MELBOURNE, vanilla essence in my coffee, meeting people that already work at my dream job, Allens marshmallows, my dream employer callling me!, street press day, highly anticipating my next pay day, using alternative words for the F word eg: fudge cruncher, effer, FUTCH etc, still swearing, packing, taking things off my wall.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Hello June, how are you my favourite month? You have a pretty good track record I think, lets see.. last June I went to Melbourne for a sisterly visit and I bought copious amounts of wonderful clothing, ate the best vegetarian foods ever and hung out in the hills, loved it. In 2008 I saw the premiere of Sex & the City in NYC, flew to England and was reunited with a old friend. June 2007 I graduated from Tafe and few days later flew to the USA for the first time and started what was my 16 month trip around the world. I even remember way back in 2004 when I saw my favorite band, Gyroscope play their best gig ever at the ABC Studios and there is probaly alot more awesome times from Junes past that have slipped my memory, hrmph. I am excited as punch for this coming June too, July as well. Even my star signs tell me to get excited and also "Rarely before has the cosmos had so much to offer. Make the most of your hopes and forget your fears" Okay, thankyou galaxy man!
I try really hard not to blog about shitty things that happen in my life because I want my blog to be a happy optimistic place, sometimes I do but then I delete it all 5 minutes later. If I did blog about the things that do get me down I would probaly blog alot more and that SUCKS. But you know what's annoying? Finally being offered a full time job at work (after wanting one for 3 years) even though I am leaving next week and being told that I would be manager when current manager leaves in September. Also something very annoying is when you plan to not plan to go on a roadtrip but then that falls through at the last minute so instead my last week in town will be spent working like a drunk horse. Also something very annoying is when my Mum invites herself to hangout with Dad & I even though they are divorced and have been for over 10 years. ANNOYING. One more thing that doesn't make me happy is when I'm sitting on the train on the way to work and my left arm hurts the whole 20 minute train ride and I am afraid I may be about to have a heart attack! I was freaking out, still am in fact!
You know what's not annoying, this time next week I will be driving to the airport! ♥